Hello everyone! I’m Katie Earles. My plan is to double major in Literature, Media, and Communication (LMC) and Public Policy and to graduate in spring of 2022 (though I’m not opposed to taking a victory lap and ending up in 2023).

My roommate and I at #TargetNight with Buzz?

If you can’t tell from my majors, I love English. In fact, I probably would’ve majored in it if I had ended up at a liberal arts college. But, because I also love science, and Georgia Tech’s Ivan Allen College of Liberal Arts is beyond amazing, I ended up as a Yellow Jacket and couldn’t be happier.

I’ve loved reading and writing ever since I was little. I keep a running list of books I’ve read and books I want to read, so looking at the list I can remember what was going on in my life when I read specific books. Here are a few recommendations if you’re looking for a good book: A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, Middlesex, Pride and Prejudice, The Glass Castle, Water for Elephants, A Brave New World, My Sister’s Keeper, Americanah, and When Breath Becomes Air.

This is me trying to read in the car and being distracted by how cute my dog is.

In high school, I was an attorney on our mock trial team, and editor on the newspaper, and an actress in many theater productions. I love storytelling, whether that be in an article concerning marijuana use on campus, a song about heartbreak, or a closing argument on behalf of the defense. What I am not so great at, however, is the ability to communicate electronically.

I’m one of those people who always prefers a call rather than a text. If I text someone asking them how their day went and they reply “Fine,” how am I supposed to know if they really mean it? Verbal cues are so so helpful; when talking to someone you instantly know how they’re really feeling, even if their words don’t say so. In this class, I hope to feel like a stronger, more confident electronic communicator.

Frankly, I signed up for this class because I saw we would be watching The Good Place, which is a show I love. I wouldn’t say I watch TV on a regular basis, but I definitely have phases where I’ll watch a show almost religiously. Stranger Things, Friends, How I Met Your Mother, Gilmore Girls, and Psych are a few shows that I’ve watched all the way through. For the following blog posts, I’ve chosen to watch and write about New Girl. I’ve watched a few episodes before, and the characters seem funny and somewhat relatable. Of course, watching any TV show seems like a pretty enjoyable way to do homework.