Hi, my name is Grace Harrison! I am currently undecided in the school of engineering but I think that I am going to do Industrial Engineering. Hopefully I will be graduating in 2022 (we’ll see if that actually happens).

This is my first English class at Tech! At my high school our English classes tended to focus on traditional literature and modes of communication. However, the last English class I took was a themed course called “Stories of What if?” that included more sources of information such as movies, books, articles, and podcasts. I hope to improve my nonverbal communication skills this year as I previously was not very good at communicating in ways other than written and verbal.

This course attracted because it involved two themes I loved, Television and Feminism. I frequently binge watch Netflix (maybe to a point that would be considered excessive). I also would consider myself a passionate feminist. I have not had much experience relating the two themes except that one of my friends is very interested in the television industry and taught me some about the progress and lack of progress in the industry. I also did some research during the various scandals that have happened recently relating to Harvey Weinstein and others.

I have chosen to review Fresh Off the Boat! Fresh Off the Boat is about an Asian-American family who moves to the suburbs in Florida, which are predominately White in the 1990s, to pursue the American Dream.

Moving for the American Dream

I chose this show because I have seen one episode of it and really enjoyed it. I also care very much about social issues and wanted to choose a show that included a racial component as well as feminism to make this more intersectional since feminism is about more than just White people. I am a huge fan of Constance Wu (I still need to see Crazy Rich Asians though) and cannot wait to start watching the show!

Constance Wu is the best