All GT freshmen at this point. Especially me.

Greetings!  My name is Charlotte Harris.  I grew up in Fayetteville, Georgia: a quiet little town nestled thirty miles south of Atlanta.  I hope to graduate with a business administration degree in May of 2022, although this is Georgia Tech, and both majors and graduation dates are quite subject to change!

Like most American eighteen-year-olds, I began learning about reading, writing, and grammar before I even started kindergarten, and ever since, that has comprised the bulk of my English education.  All of my language arts classes over the last thirteen years focused heavily on writing, and as a result, I subconsciously associate writing with English class.  I grew accustomed to the AP style of writing while in high school, and in my junior year, I was the best argumentative writer in the state of Georgia.  Of course, that’s only according to the judges at the GISA Class AAA state literary meet… but that’s beside the point.  After twelve years of writing, that was the experience that finally made me comfortable with putting words on paper.  That being said, writing is the element of a typical English class which comes most naturally to me.  And, since I believe writing is the best way to learn how to compose one’s thoughts and learn how to effectively convey them, speaking is the next easiest.  I will be the first to admit, however, that anything requiring creativity challenges me.  Although I am a visual learner, I am not visionary by any means.  So, this semester, I truly hope to improve my skills when it comes to creative presentation.

To be completely honest, “Television and Feminism” is a class theme that scares me a little bit.  I would not consider myself a feminist, and I don’t watch a lot of TV.  On the rare occasion that I do binge TV, I am typically bored out of my mind, procrastinating a major assignment, or racing a coworker to see who can finish a series faster.  That’s it!  I’m not opposed to TV by any means; I simply don’t have as much spare time as I would like, and when I do have it, I would rather spend it asleep or with my family than in front of a screen.  So, I am excited to broaden my horizons a bit in this class!

I have chosen Fresh Off the Boat as my show to independently watch and review in this class.  To me, it seems to be a completely different pace than any show I’ve watched before, and I’m excited about this new theme.  The show is about immigrants and their lives as Americans, and I can’t wait to delve into that this week.  So with that, here goes a new style of English class, differences and challenges and all. But honestly, if I get to watch TV, how could I possibly complain at all?