I created this robot for my “ME 2110: Creative Decisions& Dsgn” class. This class gave us a list of tasks that we were suppose to design our robot to accomplish. There was also a competition to see whose robot performed the best. The rules are posted below, along with the scoring table, but I will try to summarize them briefly. The most important things about them are to get the model rocket to be the highest on the field, score ping pong balls into the center minivan, we had a limited choice of power sources and actuators, and our robot had to start by fitting in a 12″x18″x24″ box and could expand as needed when the round started.
The theme of the competition was Toy Story, so we decided to make our robot out of toys. Legos were used for the cage at the top holding the ping pong balls, the treads driving the robot, and the decorations all around.
Out of 60 teams, we placed third in the design review, which was judged by many professionals and experts from the industry. In the competition itself, our robot made it all the way to the semi-finals.
This was a scissor lift idea we tested using pneumatics and rubber bands.
I created this in my “CS 2110: Computer Organiz&Program” class. This was programmed using C and played on a Gameboy emulator. I later put it onto an Everdrive cartridge and actually played my own game on my Game Boy Advance SP. The AI that plays against the player has at least a 40% win rate, and even though battleship can be luck, this AI makes strategic guesses where there is more open space and more likely to be a ship.
Guitar Hero Bot
This was a very freeform project for my “ME 4405: Mechatronics” class. I thought of the idea of a robot to play guitar hero. The project ran using an MSP432 as the microcontroller and photoresistors to read the change in light from lighter and darker pixel colors. Servos were used to press the buttons and a DC motor for hitting the strum bar. The motor turned out to be too weak to be able to trigger the strum bar, so my group ended up with manual strumming.
For my final semester as an undergrad at Georgia Tech, I took a capstone class that uses all the skills I’ve learned during my time at Tech, to work on a final project. For my project, I worked closely with Ryobi, who make power tools, to work on their hedge trimmer. I can’t go into too much detail on what we did for the project, but I can say that our goal was to make the blade detachable from the main unit to allow savings in shipping costs, and that Ryobi was very happy with our end product. Our design did so well that my team won the best Mechanical Engineering project out of all of the other Mechanical Engineering projects.