New Decade Responses

If you could put one Georgia Tech related item in a time capsule to be opened in 2030, what would it be and why? What do you hope to see on campus in the next 10 years?
Our maker spaces.  So we can see how far we have advanced in 10 years. A central, endowed facility (doesn’t have to be in one place, but needs to have dedicated, endowed, nonconvertible funding and technicians) for laboratory experiments and maker spaces.  This will relieve students and faculty from having to set them up, and to relieve departments from having to run them ad hoc.  We need dedicated technicians to help create experiments and support the maker spaces.  Experiential learning is very important.  We have labs like this in Clough building, but we need something akin to the labs at TAMU.
I would like to put in the lateness innovative technology that is currently being study by undergraduate and graduate students doing research. I hope to see more diversity in the faculty and student population that includes more women, women of color, international students, students with disabilities, and etc.

GT Letter Head stack and a bunch of business cards.

To see how the preference of letters/colors/designs might have changed, and the joy of finding out who was there 10 years ago.

GT is the pioneer in human potential, and has a lovely culture that is a leading example of other colleges and younger education schools.  No suicides, everyone is having clarity that they are in the right place, feeling appropriately challenged, being an example of harmonious living, making real positive impacts, and we are one hub of sending out such message that this is a real possibility – not a fiction 🙂
A small hobby rocket designed and assembled by the AE 1601 class. I think the rocket would be
1) a good visualization of what first-year AE students are capable of making from their first year at Tech.
2) show the students’ creativity and collaboration (they like to have fun and incorporate a bit of their personalities into their designs).
3) represent the maker spaces on campus, notably the Yang Aero Maker Space.
4) a nod to the Artemis mission that is set to launch in 2024.
New, state-of-the-art building(s) for the School of Aerospace Engineering.
If I could put one thing from Georgia Tech related item in a time capsule to be opened in 2030, I would put the statue of the first black students. I would put that because it represents the growth that Georgia Tech has experienced and the direction the school is headed. I hope to see on campus in the next 10 years an opportunity for more collaboration between students and staff on projects. Opportunities for staff to bring ideas to the table for projects and ideas that help grow research projects.
I would put the “T” (off Tech Tower)  in the time capsule so none of the students would be arrested or maybe better yet to hide it and then let it become the phantom “T” and suddenly reappears from its travel in time……. Unity between all the systems
Plastic water bottles and paper cups- many campuses in Europe do not permit either. You must carry own water bottle and coffee mug. GT will hopefully catch up by 2030 A more sustainable and green campus. Vendors on campus working with campus partners for a paper and plastic free Georgia Tech.
I would put in an image of what GT looks like now and then see what it will look like in 10 years with all of the construction going on. I hope to see more spaces to eat across campus. I also hope to see more picnic tables and seating in green spaces across campus. There aren’t enough places to sit outside without having to go all the way to the student center. Having more covered eating spaces, like the solar panel station in front of the LOVE building is so nice.
The BUZZ costume–it seems that wherever you go, if the intent is to promote “team spirit” BUZZ will be there–I wonder if there will be a time when mascots will be considered quaint–so putting the costume in the time capsule would help to point out what was considered a positive symbol now. My hope is that students, faculty and staff will learn how to incorporate health and wellness into their everyday interactions and learn that self-care does not have to diminish–but can actually enhance–performance. I hope the culture of shared misery is replaced with a culture of mutual respect and support.