Professor Nagi Gebraeel is the Georgia Power Early Career Professor and Professor in the H. Milton Stewart School of Industrial and Systems Engineering at Georgia Tech. He received his MS and PhD from Purdue University in 1998 and 2003, respectively.
Dr. Gebraeel’s research interests lie at the intersection of Predictive Analytics and Machine Learning for industrial IoT applications. He focuses on developing fundamental statistical learning algorithms for real-time equipment diagnostics and prognostics as well as stochastic optimization models for data-driven operational and logistical decision making in the manufacturing and power generation applications. Dr. Gebraeel’s research also encompasses industrial cybersecurity where he focuses on developing real-time algorithms for detecting cyberattacks that target IoT critical assets and their Industrial Control Systems. He also leads research efforts in developing novel Machine Learning algorithms to enhance autonomy and self-awareness of “deep space smart habitats” through NASA’s HOME Space Technology Research Institute.
Dr. Gebraeel leads Predictive Analytics and Intelligent Systems (PAIS) research group at Georgia Tech’s Supply Chain and Logistics Institute. He also directs research activities and equipment testing at the Analytics and Prognostics Systems laboratory at Georgia Tech’s Manufacturing Institute. Dr. Gebraeel served as an associate director at Georgia Tech’s Strategic Energy Institute (from 2014 until 2019) where he was responsible for identifying and promoting research initiatives and thought-leadership at the intersection of Data Science and Energy. He was also the former president of the Institute of Industrial and Systems Engineers (IISE) Quality and Reliability Engineering Division, and is currently a member of the Institute for Operations Research and the Management Sciences (INFORMS) and IISE (since 2005).
Honors & Awards
- Fellow of the Institute of Industrial and Systems Engineers (IISE)
- Student Recognition of Excellence in Teaching: Class of 1934 Award, 2020.
- Georgia Power Early Career Professorship, 1/2016 to 12/2021.
- Chandler Family Chair 8/2013 to 8/2016.
- The 2007 CAREER Award, National Science Foundation.
- The IEEE-AUTOTESTCON Certificate for “Substantial Contribution to the Technical Program”, 2006.
- The SAE Materials Modeling and Testing Recognition Award for “Substantial Contribution to the Technical Program”, 2006.
- The 2003 Magoon Award for Outstanding Teaching presented by the Purdue Schools of Engineering.
- The 2003 Purdue University Graduate Student Award for Outstanding Teaching.
Research Societal Services
- Associate Director at Georgia Tech’s Strategic Energy Institute (2014 – 2019)
- Faculty founder of the Predictive Analytics and Intelligent Systems PAIS research group (2013 – Present)
- Faculty founder of the Analytics and Prognostic Systems Laboratory (2008 – Present)
- President/President Elect – IISE, Quality Control and Reliability Engineering Division (2010 – 2012)
- Board Member – IISE, Quality Control and Reliability Engineering Division (2008 – 2010)
- Council Board Member – INFORMS: Quality, Statistics, and Reliability Society (2009 – 2010)
- Department Editor – IIE Transactions on Quality and Reliability Engineering (2009 – 2020)
- Associate Editor – Naval Research Logistics (2012 – 2016)
- Associate Editor – AIAA-Journal of Aerospace Computing, Information, and Communication (2012 – 2014)