Site Visit Activity (2.21.23)

Method

For our in-depth description, our method was to divide and conquer. We knew the most effective way to take notes was to allow everyone to contribute and specialize in a certain aspect of the location. Our group had four members. My job, in particular, was to describe the overall mood and atmosphere of the location as well as the material and texture of notable items. Because that’s all I had to focus on, I was able to pay close attention and make a plethora of observations. The same goes for the rest of my teammates. After everyone took their comprehensive notes, we traveled back to the classroom where we streamlined our information, grouping each person’s notes into separate sections.

Analysis

This activity benefitted my research project. I am producing a form of flash fiction. Naturally, my ability to describe the setting will be crucial in ensuring my story has powerful world building. In my opinion, a story can’t be enjoyable if the reader can’t accurately visualize what the author is discussing. This activity allowed me to practice this skill. Many esteemed authors argue one should show not tell when writing. An author shouldn’t explicitly say what they want the reader to picture. Rather, an author should note small but impactful details that add meaning to their story. In this activity, we weren’t allowed to say what we were describing. Instead, we had to go into extreme detail to paint a picture in the reader’s mind of the location we were at.