Portfolio Notes & Practice

Excerpts of your work is better than complete copies of your work

Embed introductory video somewhere in the portfolio

Offer asset attribution

Audience is Dr. A and other LMC professors

Be aware of your audience when introducing information

Make your audience do less since they will be grading an enormous number of portfolios

Use first person

It is not about your research; instead, it is about your writing

Make your thesis specific and focused

Notes you took about presentations counts as evaluation

Never just drop in an asset

You have to talk about each asset and how it relates to your thesis

• To ensure I’m not just summarizing each artifact, I plan on talking about what I learned in the process of completing each artifact, and I want to elaborate how this knowledge improved my understanding of world-building and character development

Be explicit; tell your readers how to read your work

Give your audience a sense that you have paid attention to their needs

Map out the relationships between your text and assets

Don’t sacrifice focus for brevity

Be explicit about the choices you are making

The portfolio must include a focused introductory essay, 2-3 artifacts from the semester with process documents, your final project, and your introductory video

Work with multimodality in mind

Prompt: What is one insight you’ve gained this semester about the nature of writing, research, or facts and world-building?

• For my introductory essay, I plan on focusing more on writing, research, and world-building because those topics relate more directly with my research project, which involved fiction
  • I’m swaying away from talking about facts since that wasn’t a component that crossed my mind frequently when working on my project
  • I’ll discuss how writing fiction required me to master the skill of world-crafting
    • In particular, I’ll emphasize how important it is to create a believable setting in storytelling to make your piece of fiction seem like it could’ve actually happened in real life
  • In terms of the nature of writing, I’ll mention how flash fiction has taught me about the beauty of being concise
    • For most of my academic career, my teachers have emphasized reaching a minimum word count when writing
    • Consequently, I developed a habit to add as many words as possible to my work to ensure it gets an adequate grade; oftentimes, this work I would produce would be mundane and feel like a burden to read
    • Flash fiction has forced me to consider a different point view, prioritizing quality over brevity