AB No. 8

Kempton, Gloria. Write Great Fiction-Dialogue. Penguin, 2004, https://www.scribd.com/document/607763976/Write-Great-Fiction-Dialogue-by-Gloria-Kempton.

In Write Great Fiction-Dialogue, Kempton Gloria discusses how writing dialogue is not an easy task and explains how most writers don’t get it right. Throughout the book, Gloria uses numerous examples of dialogue to prove her point and display how dialogue can enhance storytelling through building tension and setting the atmosphere. The intended audience is authors who aren’t confident in their writing capabilities and want to learn how to write less dialogue that dumps information and more dialogue that is brief and advances the plot. The purpose is to allow the reader to recognize that they’re not alone in their struggle to write dialogue and to provide tips on how they can make their dialogue more reflective of real conversations between people.

This source was helpful in explaining how difficult it is to capture the natural rhythm of language. Before analyzing the book, I didn’t have a strong understanding of how dialogue can evoke so much emotion in an audience. I always knew dialogue was important to include in writing, but I didn’t understand how crucial it is to be concise with dialogue, such as avoiding small talk which adds nothing to one’s story. Without a doubt, I plan on using a lot of the tips mentioned in the source when I write my piece of flash fiction. Because my story will have to be brief, utilizing dialogue will be a great way to share details about characters and the plot without writing too much. For Whitey Bulger, for example, since he’s Irish-American, I want to give him a unique way of speaking that will give hints about his personality.